01 January 2008

S Novym Godom!

I've dreamed of celebrating New Year's here in Russia pretty much ever since I started learning Russian. This year, I finally did it! I will write more about that – and about several other things that I've been meaning to get to – soon, as the benevolent Putin has given his subjects (and hangers-on like me) nine days of vacation as a New Year's present. To amuse you until then, though, this is what I woke up to at 11 o'clock this morning, as my friend Aina's mom poked her head into the room where I was sleeping:

Her: Leslie, get up and drink with us!
Me: What? Drink? You mean like wine?
Her: Of course, wine! What else?!
Me: (groaning and burying head under pillow) I don't understand.
Her: What's there to understand? Ah, you want to sleep more?
Me: No, no, I was already awake. But I got drunk (lit.: напилась/napilas', "drank my fill") yesterday!
Her: And your point is...?

Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: